November 08, 2007

Diwali The Festival of Lights...


Diwali, the festival of lights.. its celebrated all over India with lots on Pomp and Splendour....
Crackers, Sparklers, rockets the list of firework is uncountable.... Since last 23 years I have been seeing this festival, the joy it brings in the faces of people is simply superb....

Celebration at my end is quite minimal.... My parents always wanted to restrict the amount of crackers we burst.Mostly the celebrations were limited to sparklers, and small light emitting fireworks.
Initially when I was small I used to wonder my parents never encourage bursting crackers, and only limited fireworks, some Diwali it was nothing.

Mom and sister would light the entire house and surrounding with Diya (small lamps lit in earthen pots).Sweets were brought into house. Mom was allergic to the sounds of crackers so she would shut down all windows to prevent the sound from entering.

Now I do agree with my parents, I am no more a great fan for bursting crackers, mainly for my doggies, Tabu in particular, poor creature, she is quite afraid of the sound these crackers create, and that bought about the change in me, and above all the rising price of crackers, Some times think why waste money on some small time pleasures..(miser huh)

In office Diwali went Hi fi... Crackers were ordered via Internet, Mails flew all around circulating the link and mail address. Packages were wonderful, All were lavish in ordering the crackers.. Minimum package was 400 bucks, saw all people around me ordering Crackers. To my knowledge out of my team of 40 people, there were 32 orders, minimum order amount being 600... lot of money huh...

I rushed home for Diwali, this time there was no celebrations for me, with Mom undergoing by-pass heart surgery I was not at all in mood for celebrating.

Would see lots of rockets flying the sky trowing away lots of color all around.

The saddest think I saw was goats tied all around to be slaughtered.It was a sad sight, for the reason of celebration we human are taking life of these cute creatures.

Diwali is of course a celebration for us put pain for animals.Being high up it in the food chain and Hierarchy, I doubt anyone bothers to take a time and think about these voiceless.

Writing blog wont help them I know, but I did my bit, to help these voice less, I stopped bursting crackers, for
them, let the world think and celebrate the festival of lights with minimal noice and lots of light...

Guys I think Diwali is festival of Lights not Festival of Sound.....

Happy Diwali to all

No comments: